The Australian Government has increased the instant asset write-off threshold for a limited time. Keep reading to find out how this one-off change can help your business or you as an employee in 2020.
Until December 31 of this year, the Australian Government has increased the instant asset write-off threshold for eligible businesses. This means more businesses and employees than ever before can claim lump-sum tax deductions on individual, depreciable work-related assets of $150,000 per asset, per individual – a five-fold increase on the previous year’s $30,000 per-asset limit.
In basic terms, here are the changes to the instant asset write-off threshold for this financial year only:
- Businesses with an aggregated turnover of under $500 million are eligible. This is a ten-fold increase from the $50 million eligibility limit in the previous financial year, meaning businesses and their employees that weren’t previously eligible now are.
- The threshold amount for each asset is now $150,000. This is a five-fold increase on the previous year’s threshold of $30,000.
Under the instant asset write-off scheme, your eligibility depends on a range of factors:
- Your aggregated turnover (the income of associated businesses is lumped together with the total ordinary income of your business).
- The date you purchased the asset and it was first used or installed ready for use.
- The cost of each asset being less than the threshold.
Under this scheme, it’s possible for small businesses (like trades) to claim an instant asset write off on large items like a 4x4 vehicle used for work. However, since the threshold can be applied to each individual asset, the business can have accessories such as canopies and drawers instantly deducted from their taxable income come the end of the current financial year.
With this in mind, there’s never been a better time to get 4x4 equipped with TJM. So, what are you waiting for? Head over to our online shop now, start building your dream 4x4 and then Request a Quote instantly from your local TJM store to take advantage of this one-off increase to the instant asset write-off threshold.
Please be aware that you must make sure you take advantage of the Government’s current initiative before 31 December 2020 or you will miss out. From From 2021 the instant asset write-off will only be available to businesses with a turnover of less than $10 million and the threshold will be $1,000.
To find out if you’re eligible for the Australian Government’s instant asset write-off scheme for the financial year to 31 December 2020 and to receive guidance on the financial benefit your business will receive from the instant asset write-off scheme , please consult with your accountant before purchasing any assets for work purposes. You can also read more about the scheme on the ATO website here.